Welcome to CdM High School HS ASB/Activities Staff/Teachers CdM High School World Languages Contact Us Attendance Policy AGS Cheer and Song Page Mission and Goals PAMA New to High School IMPORTANT INFORMATION Theatre
Welcome to CdM Middle School MS ASB/Activities Staff/MS Activities Eligibility Middle School Athletics Middle School Languages MS Principal's Message New to Middle School Important Information Cheer - Middle School Renaissance MS Elective Forms & Applications Boys Volleyball Schedule Girls Basketball Schedule Girls Volleyball Schedule Boys Basketball Schedule Boys Soccer Girls Soccer
Academics High School Athletics Counseling LRC - College Guidance Signature Academies
PTA Alumni Backstage and Performing Artists Company Board of Education Boosters CdM Foundation Newport-Mesa Schools Foundation SCO Handbook
Calendar and Bell Schedule Contact Us District Information Handbook Nurses Office New Student Info for 2019-2020 Lunch Menu/Nutrition Maps Registration Wireless Student Setup Library Plug-ins Common Core Math Daily Announcements ASB/Student Store CdM Staff Resources Professional Development School News School Profile - 2018-2019 Trident TV



Course Load Requirements:  

Grade 7-8        Students must enroll in six classes

Grade 9-11      Students must enroll in six classes.

Grade 12         Students may enroll in five classes if they have a minimum of 180    

                           credits completed.


Students may be eligible to attend classes through the Regional Occupational Program (ROP), college and university campuses.  However, the student must be enrolled at his/her home school for a minimum of 240 minutes a day.


10 credits per year may be designated for an outside course (with counselor approval). 


Typically, Fall registration begins in March, and Spring registration begins in December.


Minimum Day Seniors: 

Seniors who have 180 credits at the beginning of the senior year may apply for a five-period minimum day. One of those 5 classes may be community college, university, or Outside ROP.


Physical Education: 

Students in grades 9 and 10 must be enrolled in physical education (P.E.) each semester for a total of four (4) semesters. If they do not receive enough credits to meet the requirements for graduation, the units must be made up before graduation. Students coming from schools where P.E. is not required (e.g., private or out-of-state schools) need to make up the units missed. In addition to the regular P.E. curriculum, other courses may receive P.E. credit, such as all types of athletics, drill team, dance, pep squad, modified physical education, pe electives, and marching band.


Schedule/Drop Classes: 

Students are encouraged to make schedule changes in August during the new student enrollment/program change week. At other times, schedule changes are made according to each school’s policy and practice. CLASS CHANGES WILL NOT BE MADE FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:

  • Student does not “like” teacher or prefers another teacher

  • Personal schedule (for example “My new job has different hours than before”, “My outside class meets during that time”)

  • Preference to take a class during a specific period or with friends


Generally, a student cannot enter a new class after the third week. Exceptions are to be made by the principal/designee.


If a student drops a class after the third week, s/he will receive an F which will be entered on the transcript. Parent permission is required to drop the class.


Outside Classes: 

A maximum of 10 units per school year will be accepted from students who take courses in other districts/institutions while enrolled in a Newport-Mesa school. Prior written approval of the principal/designee is required. 


A student may request to receive high school credit for outside educational courses which will be recorded on his/her transcript. College credits will be accepted as high school credits towards graduation according to the following table:


1-2 unit college class = 2.5 high school credits

3-5 unit college class = 5 high school credits

6-10 unit college class =10 high school credits


Please see your counselor to find out what college classes can be taken for high school credit, and get a permission form filled out before signing up for a class.


The student/parent is responsible for requesting an official transcript from the outside institution. This transcript should be mailed directly to the school to the attention of the appropriate counselor. Once received, the pre-approval form will be matched with the official transcript and the registrar will post the grade to the students CDM transcript.